Nagpur-Mumbai Expressway project receives 33 bids; MSRDC claims 90% of land acquired, farmers say yet to give consent

0
25
33 companies have bid for the Nagpur-Mumbai expressway project in response to the second call issued by MSRDC for RFQ. (Source: PTI)

A total of 33 companies have bid for the Nagpur-Mumbai expressway project in response to the second call issued by the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) for request for qualification (RFQ). Out of the 33 companies, 17 companies have bid singly while the remaining have organised themselves into 10 groups. Of the single bidders, ten are Indian companies, three are Chinese, and one from Kuwait and Singapore each, respectively. Anil Gaikwad, chief engineer, MSRDC told FE, the evaluation of these companies would be complete in about a week’s time. “Subsequently, if there are no queries from the bidders, we will issue the request for proposal (RFP) documents,” he said.

Among the companies that have bid singly are HCC, L&T, Afcons Infrastructure, Gammon Engineering, Oriental Structural Engineers, PNC Infratech, Simplex Infrastructure, and KMC Construction.

This is the second time that MSRDC has called for bidders for the project. It first published the RFQ on January 2, 2017, but on March 29, the penultimate date for the bid, this RFQ was annulled and a fresh document was published, with new clauses. One new condition for qualification pertained to experience in building “access-controlled” expressways, freeways, motorways, and autobahns worth Rs 500 crore to Rs 1,300 crore in the last five years. The reissued RFQ document also stipulated disqualification of companies under corporate debt restructuring (CDR) or strategic debt restructuring (SDR). 

The National Highway Builders Federation (NHBF) objected to the insertion of the new clauses and wrote to both the Maharashtra chief minister and the Prime Minister’s office. “However, we are yet to receive a response from them. It seems that our statement and our objections have not been taken on board so far,” PC Grover, Director, NHBF, told Fe.

Meanwhile, MSRDC claims it has completed 90% of the land required for the project while farmers say they have not given their consent for their land to be acquired. Moreover, farmers also allege that the joint measurement survey for the project is being done forcibly.

Leave a Reply